Municipal Employer Update – State of Emergency Returns
Further to Premier Ford’s announcement January 12th, the Province is returning to a State of Emergency, effective Thursday, January 14th. Though public health measures and restrictions have been in place throughout the pandemic, Ontario has not been in a State of Emergency since July 24, 2020.
We note below only the changes that will come into place Thursday (all current Grey Zone lockdown measures remain in effect as now). These measures will continue until at least February 11, 2021:
- Employers must ensure that employees who can complete their work from home do so. Employees are not to attend work unless the nature of their work requires them to be on-site at the workplace (for example manufacturers, retailers offering curbside pick-up etc.)
- For employees that must attend work, face masks are mandatory in all workplaces even in instances where physical distancing can be maintained. Masks must be worn outdoors if the workplace does not allow for 2m (6’) of distancing.
- Outdoor gatherings are reduced from a maximum of 10 people to 5 people.
- Schools will remain closed until February 10 in Windsor, Toronto, Peel, York and Hamilton regions.
- Previously announced school re-openings remain as scheduled until further notice.
- Daycares remain open to non-school age children.
- Retailer and restaurants may provide services as they do now but may only remain open from 7am to 8pm (liquor, beer stores, 9am to 8pm). Reduced capacity restrictions are being applied to big box stores.
- The 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. restriction does not apply to grocery stores, pharmacies and health care facilities.
- Car dealers may remain open by appointment only (as now) but only between 7am and 8pm.
- Non-essential construction is restricted, including below-grade construction, except for surveying.
Importantly, Ontario has not imposed a general curfew on citizens (as Quebec elected to do by forbidding citizens from being outside their home after 8pm without an essential reason).
As always, if you have questions or need assistance, please contact our offices anytime (while we are working virtually, emails and phones are being monitored at all times). New developments are expected and we will continue to keep you updated.
925-550 Skyway Drive (Airport Road)
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 0E7
705-400-714 | [email protected]
www.savinohrp.ca | www.hrlive.ca